Wednesday 14 April 2010

~Of the world and depression~

Small World
It's nothing new really, but the world is indeed a small place. Even when you're aware of it, it is still hard to believe at times.

A friend of mine here suddenly asked me whether I want to go to Paris (a month ago). Apparently he wants me to accompany his visiting brother-in-law who wants to tour UK and Europe, but since he's attached to a hospital he can't accompany the said bro-in-law. I've known this friend for quite some time, he's doing final year Medicine, and he's a former senior of a UNiM 'junior' of mine back when they were in KMS (i think). Since dah kenal him and his wife, bila dia ajak tuh I didn't really think much to accept. Then I got to know it would only be me and his bro-in-law berdua. Oh well, takper la..
Then came the interesting part. Rupa2nya Faisal (the bro-in-law) knows my kakngah. They were classmates waktu darjah 1.. and rupanya his mum (the wife's mum gak) was mama's kenalan waktu kat Sheffield dulu. Kakngah tak ingat him but abah and mama still kenal the parents. 


Last Sunday I went bowling with some more friends, and Zetty suddenly asked me: "Your sister dulu kat KMKP kan dulu (Kolej Matrikulasi Kuala Pilah)? Zunayrah ek nama dia.. I rasa I kenal lah your sister tuh.. Tersedar waktu nampak gambar dia masa komen dalam FB. Dia tak kenal I sangat kot, dia kat blok A dulu." .... another one who knows kakngah. Kakngah apparently tak kenal though, as Zetty expected.. but yang paling rasa tak tahannya semalam suddenly kak Airina (another friend here) asked me about KAKNGAH. @_@ pohal ekau popular sangat nih? Again, they knew each other when they were in KMKP jugak... she said she kenal sangat kakngah... She and her husband were in KMKP too. Haven't asked kakngah about it but.. as kakngah said it: "pehal suma orang kenal kita tapi kita tak kenal diorang ek?".


A long while ago I stalked a friend of my friend on his FB. I heard quite a lot about him from that friend so I got curious. So banyak gak la tau about him from my friend and also hasil stalking. After a long time, I came to the UK and went to London for a makan2 session at some friends' house... and who do you think was one of the people yang menyambut my kedatangan? That unknowing (stalked) friend of my friend tuh. x)
Masa mula2 nampak dia I dah kenal dah, and an evil [nakal] plan concocted in my mind. So mula ah berkenalan ngan dia and rapat sket, then when we went for a walk at London, I started revealing stuff I know of him, little by little.. Heheheheheheeheh. If you asked me he did look a bit freaked out (who wouldn't?), but he insisted he's not, he's still cool jer. ;P


Another case was also during a FB stalking of my old schoolmate, a 'twin' of mine who's studying in Ireland. I checked out his photos and then I saw a photo of him and his friends, and one of them whom I sooo recognise, my jiran depan rumah back in Malaysia (yeah, you KA =P). Rupanya diorang belajar kat tempat sama.. found that out from their FB info. When I saw that I figured I will not be shocked anymore of any other 'small world' incidents. The world is indeed, small.




Back to normal, everyday life


Nothing special happened today, except that my supervisor gave me work to do which he said it would be excellent if I were to finish it by the end of the month. You can guess it will not be easy, doing stuff in C++ and incorporating it inside another project (collaborated with other group members), using my mediocre knowledge of C++. Then after MK went off from the room for something, I continued discussion with my other group members.


I was depressed. I sat through the discussion and the postdoc and the other group members started talking about stuff, with jargons like NURBS and isosurfaces, and a LOT of other stuff. I realised that I know so little compared to them. I know they have been in this business for years, and have even more experience and knowledge of the outside world.. (one of the PhD student has worked in wall street for 30 years.. yeah, he's as old as my dad, which made me respect him even more), and I've been there for less than 3 months minus all the time I needed to get settled in and read more basic stuff.
It's also amazing to see how they can sit through a talk (which can be so boring and easy to not understand anything) yet can still ask questions about the talk as if they had been dealing with the topic for a long time. It shows just how much knowledge and experience they had over the years...
But you know what, even though it was depressing, I get more excited and eager to do this PhD thing. The thought that I will become as knowledgeable as that becomes a motivation to me. I want to learn more..

Call me a nerd or whatever. I don't care.


À bientôt. ;)

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the PhD world Zakwan. It's a world of 'mental gymnastics' and more 'mental gymnastics'. In the beginning memanglah you would feel so small since you do not know a lot of things but dont be afraid to ask. I know you are the type who do not like to ask and try to figure out by yourself (unlike Zharfan) but learn the shortcuts..However mama think you love the challenge and will strive to the end. Remember if mama can do it you definitely can. You are lucky to be able to do it at the most prestigious U in the world at a very young age. Remember too....those who are successful in obtaining their PhD are not those who are smart but those who have the perseverence (stamina?) to work hard till the end. Love and miss you and our talks f2f..

    ReplyDelete